Foods High in Vitamin D
Foods high in Vitamin D. Best Vitamin D food sources and why Vitamin D is essential. Vitamin D facts.
Vitamin D Facts
Vitamin D is also known as the sunshine Vitamin, largely because it can also be manufactured by the skin in the presence of ultraviolet light. However, this may be difficult in winter, where the days are naturally shorter and most of us tend to stay indoors. Studies have found that most adults do not reach their recommended daily intake of Vitamin D.
Recommended Daily Intake of Vitamin D
According to the National Academy of Science, the daily intake values are as follows: for those between 19 and 50, 200 IU; between 51 to 70, 400 IU; 71 and above, 600 IU. Nonetheless, health experts Pratt and Mathews recommend 800 to 1000 IU daily.
Vitamin D Foods
- 8-ounce glass of Vitamin-D fortified milk gives about 100 IU of Vitamin D
- 1 serving of Vitamin D-fortified cereal gives about 40 IU of Vitamin D
Fish sources of Vitamin D
- 100 grams of Alaskan sockeye salmon gives about 687 IU of Vitamin D
- 100 grams of Alaskan albacore tuna gives about 544 IU of Vitamin D
- 100 grams of Alaskan silver salmon gives about 439 IU of Vitamin D
- 100 grams of Alaskan king salmon gives about 236 IU of Vitamin D
- 100 grams of Alaskan sardines canned in olive oil gives about 222 IU of Vitamin D
- 100 grams of Alaskan sablefish gives about 169 IU of Vitamin D
- 100 grams of Alaskan halibut gives about 162 IU of Vitamin D
Benefits of Vitamin D
Importance of Vitamin D? Here are the health benefits of Vitamin D that make foods high in Vitamin D an essential part of your diet:
- Preserves bone
- Protects you from diseases including type I diabetes, macular degeneration, breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, multiple sclerosis, gingivitis, muscle aches and pains.
- Maintains normal blood levels of calcium and phosphorous
- Helps to form and maintain strong bones by promoting calcium absorption
- Promotes bone mineralization, thus preventing osteoporosis
- Protects our immune systems, protects against inflammations
- Regulates cell growth